December 26, 2008

Val's Top Ten List

   The story of Pastor Andrew's Brother reminded me of the summer of 1986.  It was early June and I was at the Child Evangelism Fellowship (CEF) headquarters in Warrenton, Missouri. I was attending a two-week training course before I flew off to the island of Cyprus in the Mediterranean Sea to teach Bible classes all summer as a CEF missionary.   
  I will never forget one of the instructors challenging us to make a list.   I do not remember the instructor's name or face.   I only remember his challenge -- make a list of at least ten things you need/desire in your spouse.   And then, pray over that list and pray for your spouse.   Wow!!!   A wonderful challenge that I accepted fully.   
   I remember sitting down that evening and praying.  I prayed: "Lord, I want You to help me make a list of ten things that I need in my spouse.   I also want to commit to NOT dating anyone until I get the list completed.  Lead me and guide me in this quest.   Thank you."
   I remember that it took me about one full year to get my list completed.   The Lord slowly revealed the list to me in my Bible readings, in my other readings, in conversations with people, and in my prayer times.   I also remember that I didn't have an invitation for a date until after my list was completed. God was so good to me.   
   I honestly don't know what happened to my list.  Maybe some day I will find the original list stuck in one of my journals somewhere.   But for now, let me see if I can recreate the list from memory.  The list is in no certain order.   

Val's Top Ten List: 
   1.  A growing Christian
   2.  A man who loves his family
   3.  A man who can work with me in the ministry
   4.  A man who likes to exercise/athletics
   5.  A man who is respected 
   6.  A man with a sense of humor
   7.  A man who will be the spiritual leader in our family
   8.  A man who is educated 
   9.  A man who is hospitable 
  10. A man who is easy to talk to

Others that I would joke about with people: 
   1.  I am going to marry a man whose last name is near the beginning of the alphabet. 
   2.  I am only going to marry someone who is an American.  
   3.  I am going to marry a mountain man.

  As I got to know Mike Boado, I began to see that he fit every single one of the things on my list except for the fact that he was NOT an American.   For some reason this was very important to me.   So, I worked to keep Mike Boado at arms length.  I really tried to not let him crawl into my heart.   It worked only for a short time.