December 24, 2008

Pastor Andrew's Brother

   The first time I saw my (future) husband, I thought he was cute.   But, that was the end of it.   He was a Filipino and so being cute was as far as I would allow my heart to go.   Why?   As a young gal I had gone on several mission trips.   I had seen cross cultural couples.   I had heard about the troubles they had with in-laws and naming their children and making everyone happy on both sides of the ocean.   So, I had made an internal vow -- I would only marry an American. Why?   I knew that marriage was hard.  I knew that marriage was hard when both partners were Americans.   I could only imagine how hard it would be if each partner was from a different culture.   I did not want to find out.   So, I told everyone that I would only marry an American.      
   Mike Boado was standing on the landing in Pastor Andrew's house the first time I saw him.   Julie had called out to me at my house to walk over and meet someone who had come from Manila to visit them.   I had just arrived home from school so I put my bike away and then quickly maneuvered the few steps over to Julie's back entryway.   
                   Mike Boado and son, Steven, in 2007.  

   As I walked in, Julie pointed up towards the landing and said, "Val, this is Pastor Andrew's brother."   I don't remember hearing her say his name so I looked up at him and in my most chipper and happy voice said,   "Hi, Pastor Andrew's brother."    
   I don't remember anything after that.   I am sure they told me his name was Mike and they told him my name was Val.   I am sure they told me that he came to visit from Manila and was on his way home to the small town of Pugo.   I just don't remember.   All we both remember about that first meeting was he looking down at me and me looking up at him.     
   I never in a million years thought that I should burn that meeting into my heart and mind.   I never in a million years thought that this man would wrap himself around my heart and then climb inside.   I never in a million years thought that this man, this Filipino man, would be a part of God's plan to change me forever.   
   But God knew.   God always knows.   He also knew that in His time I would come to realize that my vow to never marry a man who was not an American was a senseless vow.   He also knew that being released from that vow would not be an easy thing for me to do.   I am so glad that God was with me to walk the way that I take.  I don't know what I would have done without His wisdom and grace.