December 22, 2008

Lessons from Olga

   As I look back on my time with Olga, I think of all the wonderful things that she taught me. They are valuable lessons that I still use today.   She is the one who taught me to go to the market.   She and I would sit and make our market list and then we would get up early the next morning and go together.   She taught me how to barter with the tindera/sales girl.   She taught me how to choose the best vegetables and fruits.   She even ate fresh pineapple until she was sick of it because she knew how much I loved this new and available fruit.   
   Olga taught me how to do my own laundry by hand.   At one point the gal that did my laundry stopped doing it and so I decided I would do it on my own.  " 'How hard can it be?'  I asked myself."   Well, I would stand at the kitchen sink and wash until my fingers were raw and bleeding.   Olga would watch me scrub my clothes and would say to me:  "Val, don't work so hard.   Just run them through the water."  I learned quickly to scrub them gently and then run them through the water.   
   I would get all finished and my laundry basket would be empty. I would hang the clothes up to dry and I would smile with satisfaction.   Then, as I went to bed that night, I would throw the clothes I had on into my laundry basket.   I learned quickly that there is never an end to dirty clothes.  
  I think the greatest lesson that I learned from Olga was the importance of visitation.   Later, when I arrived in Tagum City, it was the skill of visitation that I had learned from Olga that helped our NEOS ministry to grow.   Olga would talk to me during breakfast and say:  "What are you doing after school today?Would you like to go visiting with me?"   So, we would make a schedule and I would meet her for visitation.   
   Day after day we would go around Agoo simply visiting people; people from the church, people who were college friends, people who had visited the church, and more.   I mostly watched as I didn't know the language.   But, as I watched I would ask myself: What is she doing?   Why does she do this day after day?   What is the reason for all of this visitation?  Is it not a waste of time?     But, as I watched the joy on the faces of the people when Olga would -- hold their newborn baby, or hold the hand of an old lady and listen to the story of when she got married, or cry with a mother whose child was in the hospital, or take water to someone in the hospital, and then pray with each family before she left their home -- I knew that it was not a waste of time.   Olga was making an investment into eternity.   Olga was reaching out and touching lives.    Olga was teaching me a very important skill -- the skill of visitation.    
   To this day, I make a point, no matter where I am in the world, to spend time talking to people in order to get to know them.   I pray for opportunities to turn the conversation around to godly things.   I even work hard to make a point to pray with people.   I have prayed with people in their kitchens, living rooms, on airplanes, in hospitals, on buses, in airports, in doctor's offices, in hotels, . . . . and over the phone.   The simple skill of visitation and making conversation with people can turn someone's bad day into a good one.    
   I am grateful for the time I had in Agoo with Olga.   I am grateful that she taught me the important skills of going to the market, doing laundry by hand, and visitation.   I am mostly grateful that God used her to help change my personality into one that would be an encouragement to others and not a discouragement.   
   God knew I needed Olga because God knew the way that I would take.